Monday, September 21, 2009

Sundays are for Dancing!

Well, yesterday afternoon I made my way down to the park again.  As you may recall, Dr. Cetulean suggested that I check out the band in which her husband plays... open air + free music = I'm there.  :^)

Just as the weekend prior, I found the sidewalks along the first 5 blocks of the route to be nearly deserted.  But once again, within 2 blocks of the first park (with flower vendors) the activity picked up.  It is obvious that Chisinau-ans love their parks...

As I approached the intersection of Stefan Cel Mare I could hear quite a commotion to the left.  Approximately a block down the boulevard I could see a massive crowd gathered around a soundstage, complete with a DJ hurling encouragements to someone brought from the crowd to dance onstage... and by "dance" I mean "crazy-dance."  I filed the soundstage away as a place to come back to.
-
 This is a shot looking back toward the crowd... (the soundstage is out of view to the right...)
-

-
Inside the park were numerous little vendor tables, some that seemed planned, and some that seem to have been set up spontaneously.
-
A photo booth:  Dress up like royalty (dresses on left...) and have your picture taken on a throne.
-

-
An organization of some sort, promoting something historical, of some sort, with a golden bell and golden statues of some sort... sorry, wish I could read Russian...
-

-
And in the heart of the park, I found the band.
-

-
And what do you think all of those people do when the band fires up a tune?  That's right...
-

-
...they waltz.

It really was a beautiful day in the park.  And there is something liberating about watching 100 people gather for no reason other than to dance with their loved one.

Now, as I was taking in a few Russian oompa-waltzes, I could hear some bass off in the distance... and if my ears didn't deceive me, it was the all-too familiar tune "In da Club" by 50 Cent (...for those not down with the lingo, pronounced "In da Club by Fitty Sint.")  OK, follow this link for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vXgpBVK24o

After listening to the first 2 minutes of the song, you can see why it stands out in a Moldovan park.  Yes, it is a very American song.  And yes, it created a complete dichotomy of my moment in the sun.  I'm watching a generation who is enjoying every moment in the arms of their lover... and off in the distance is a song with the chorus of:  "I'm into havin' sex, I ain't into makin' luv."

So, I take a last glance at the band and its congregation of waltzers, and head off to find out what activity in the park requires an American anthem.  I'm half expecting a birthday bash with Moldovan champagne poppin', half expecting a random BMW defiantly parked with a bunch of hippsters gathered around.  But, on just the other side of the central fountain I find... 
 -

 -
 ...an organization promoting awareness for African refugees.  This young man grooved up and down his little patch of the sidewalk, and plenty of people were intrigued enough to stop and watch.
-

-
So, one stop left... it's time to go back and see what is going on with the "crazy dancing."

To set the scene... Stefan Cel Mare is a six-lane boulevard, and opposite to the two parks there is what I can only describe as an extended shoulder to the road... a very-much-exteneded shoulder.  Imagine that solid white line to the side of the road, and instead of 4 or 5 feet of pavement, give it 50 or 60 feet.  I only mention this because on Friday I noticed this "shoulder," with a police car or two parked in its confines, and wondered to myself:  "What do they do with this little strip?"  Well...

First, they close down the street...
-


-
...otherwise those lackadaisical pedestrians would last about 5 milliseconds before being mowed down by a ranting maxi-taxi driver, a steamrolling trolleibuz or your garden-variety, lead-footed, curse hurling, Audi driver...

...then, they set up a stage and put on a show...
-

-



-
Apparently the "crazy dancing" was only an intermission.  The main show was a whole lot of wheeled stunts.  And yes... I tried taking at least 30 pictures... caught literally no tricks mid-air... and these are the three most action-packed photos I have.  I'm not a photographer... work with me people.  :^)

For those of you interested in the town's architecture, I'll leave you with a random photo I took on my way home...
-

-
Next post:  "What's for Lunch?"

No comments:

Post a Comment