Friday, September 11, 2009

Food

So, on to that whose importance is understood the world over: food. I’ll try to create a separate link for this very important subject, and then update it as I try new things.

I woke up at 8:30 this morning, and started with a hot breakfast: fried eggs (and yes, I used the butter for my eggs… old habits die hard I suppose,) a few slices of real ham, a slice of “brânza” (cheese) and bread. Add in a hot cup of Nescafe (instant coffee) and I was off to a great start. Oh, and a glass of Dorna brand “apă” (a Romanian brand of water) since I was still feeling a bit dehydrated.

After exploring a bit, and finding that my appointment at the embassy had been pushed back a couple of hours, I decided on lunch at a café in the park. I sat outdoors, under an umbrella, and took in the bustling sidewalks while enjoying a fine pint of beer: Chisinau Blonde. For lunch I ordered the “cotlet,” a thin pork-steak which is well-tenderized, dipped in egg and then pan fried. I also ordered bread and the Neptun salad (which is a mayonnaise based salad of egg, cucumber, corn and krab.) It was all very good, with great service (the server even brought out a yellow table linen after taking my order to properly prepare the table for food.) And how much does all of this run in downtown Chisinau? About $7.65, plus $1 tip (which is apparently over-tipping by about 23 cents.)

After a 3 hour nap (I think I am still a bit jet lagged) I made up some dinner: papaya yogurt, grapes, and salami and cheese on bread.

Good night all… tomorrow I will post some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment